From the Lazy T Ranch

From the Lazy T Ranch
From the Lazy T Ranch in the Kansas Flinthills

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life Changes

On January 10, I started a new job - at the Kansas Department of Agriculture. It was an opportunity I'd not thought about - until I had a call asking if I'd be interested in working at the Ag Department. Long ago and far away (Illinois and DC) I worked for the IL Department of Agriculture and then USDA. Those were great experiences and times in my life - but 4 children, a husband, a mother-in-law living with us, the farm and ranches, American Agri-Women and an agritourism business later - I wasn't sure if this was really something I could do. But my family thought we could handle it. So on a cold and snowy day - I set off to the Agriculture Department wondering what I'd been thinking. This is the 7th week - wow, it's flown by. That's part of the problem - time goes so quickly in these jobs and making a difference takes a lot of focus.

We have a great new Secretary of Agriculture - Dale Rodman - who has had tremendous experience in agribusiness, with an abundance of contacts and knowledge that will help grow agribusiness in Kansas and help the Department of Agriculture do its job as efficiently as possible. In these times of budget reductions, we are searching for every way possible to do more with less funding. Our new Governor, Sam Brownback, has many ideas for attracting people and businesses to Kansas. A former Secretary of Agriculture, Governor Brownback has proposed strengthening the Department of Agriculture by bringing the Ag Marketing program, Animal Health Department and State Conservation Commission into the Department. This should create opportunities and great working relationships for all involved.